“I’m doing everything right. Why isn’t my body responding?”
“Being on a diet makes it really hard to enjoy life.”
“I’ve tried everything and nothing works!”
“Losing weight is a struggle every day.”
“I’m so TIRED of being overweight.”
“Why can’t I just have a normal body, and relax and enjoy myself like I see other people do?”
“I’m already working so hard and I’m not seeing any results. I don’t know what else to do.”
These are common statements that I hear women make. They feel frustrated, angry, and often think that their body is somehow faulty and that they are stuck with the body shape they have.
And they desperately want something else. They yearn for a healthy, slim, and sexy body—sometimes more than anything else!
What if it is these very thoughts that are holding you back? What if those feelings of desperation and yearning are like spraying yourself with healthy, slim, and sexy repellent?
It’s possible that may actually make you feel worse. “How can I not feel desperate,” you might ask? “How can I not think dieting is hard when it bloody well is,” you might argue?
This is not meant to make you self-critical, inspire you to explain to me why your situation is different (that just keeps you stuck), or to overwhelm you because you’re already working so hard to “fix it.”
Honestly, I get it. I spent more than 35 years thinking some of those same thoughts and feeling that desperation. I couldn’t get a break. My body was somehow faulty, and actually felt like it was working against me. I tried everything and I couldn’t see any more solutions.
But what I discovered is that I had the solution all along.
What is actually going on here is that you have a pattern of negative thoughts and emotions that are generating catabolic energy.
That’s it. It doesn’t make you a bad person—or a good person for that matter. It doesn’t mean you aren’t doing an exceptional job sticking to your eating and exercise plan, or that you don’t have enough willpower (probably, you have more than most!). It doesn’t mean you aren’t spiritual enough or are too spiritual. And it doesn’t mean there is something wrong with you—or your body.
Now there are a couple of reasons that this pattern of catabolic thought and energy is keeping you stuck exactly where you don’t want to be.
And you have the power to change it. There is no outside force holding or keeping you down. (That’s one of those thoughts that is actually keeping you stuck!)
You have the power! You are strong enough, loved enough, have enough, can do enough, are worthy enough. As soon as you are willing to take the keys, you will begin unlocking the shackles that have kept you from getting the body you want.
It is as simple as deciding that your thoughts and emotions matter. And then slowly, steadily—and gently—practicing new thoughts and reaching for new emotions.
I won’t lie to you. The physical changes won’t happen overnight. But the emotional change can happen in as little as 68 seconds. In just over a minute you can feel a sense of relief. And that shift in energy is enough to begin bringing you the body that you want.
So why are your negative thoughts and emotions literally repelling your healthy, slim, and sexy body?
On a physical level, your negative thoughts and emotions are generating catabolic energy that releases the stress hormone cortisol, adrenaline, and other chemicals that literally strip your body’s vitality at the cellular level. This breaks down your immune system, stresses your heart, and impacts your muscles. Over time, this catabolic energy can cause everything from painful trigger points in your shoulders, to inflammation, to heart attacks. It also impacts your metabolism and other weight-related systems making it easier to gain and harder to release weight.
Catabolic thoughts and emotions also attract more of what you don’t want in life. This is because “Energy Attracts Like Energy” (also known at the Law of Attraction). Being overly focused on where you are—or where you have been—just keeps summoning similar thoughts, feelings, experiences, situations, and people so that your results never seem to change. In fact they can actually continue to spiral downward as you think and feel that the situation is getting worse.
Thoughts and emotions are energy, not marble. You have the power to change them!
You begin by relaxing and easing up on the critical thoughts about your body. (Note: This is a mental process, not an excuse to go eat a pan full of brownies!) To do this:
- Meditate, journal, or just focus more on how your body is working for you rather than against you.
- Pay attention to how you feel. Take negative emotion—despair, overwhelment, frustration, anger, blame, etc.—as signals alerting you to the thought pattern you have going on that is not serving you.
- Ease up on your thinking. That can look like, “I am doing a lot right. I am taking care of my body. I am beneficial to a lot of people, I do have good relationships, and I am connected spiritually and have made lots of progress in my life. And I will figure this out, too. Of course there is room for me to grow and expand in this boundaryless Universe. I love my spiritual connection and love watching it grow and magnify. And there is a lot about my body that is working well. My heart is beating and my blood is pumping and my lungs are breathing in and out. I know that the answers and solutions are there and when I tune into them, they will become clear. I will figure this out. And there is a lot about my body to appreciate. I’m just going to relax and let this go right now.”
- Focus on all the things you can do, and let go of all the things you can’t.
- Begin to relax into the idea that this is just where you are right now. It doesn’t mean you will be here forever.
- Work with a coach to help you sort through your thoughts and get individualized help to break through those blocks that are literally weighing you down.
You absolutely have the power to transform your mind to get the body you want.
What’s one way can you begin shifting your thoughts and emotions? How willing are you to begin practicing that—even for as little as a minute a day? How does that emotional relief enable you to begin moving you towards your goals?
Together we can do it!