I was feeling this last Sunday at the end of an intensive VIP day with my fabulous coach, Kendra Thornbury, where we laid out my business plan for the year.
When I shared with her that I was feeling overwhelmed, her response provided an “Ah-Ha” moment.
“That is an old belief that this needs to be overwhelming.”
And she was right!
Having a plan of action could have been exciting. It could have provided a sense of relief. It could have given me hope for the future of my business.
As soon as I realized I could choose a different response, I felt my energy shift and that fuzzy feeling drained away.
I had a similar experience later in the middle of the night. Kendra and I had worked through a lot of fear and intense emotions that had come up for me as we put together a plan that would significantly take me out of my comfort zone. And I had a long day of travel the next day that wouldn’t get me home until the wee hours of Tuesday morning.
There was a tickle in my throat and I was worrying about getting sick.
I realized this was an old belief I had about the physical impact of releasing intense emotion. As soon as I realized that, again I felt the energy shift and a sense of wellness and well-being returned.
These old limiting beliefs are just thoughts that I have practiced and accepted as true about myself and life.
And everyone has them.
Often you are so used to thinking your limiting beliefs—or they are so prevalent among your family, friends, co-workers, or even society—that you just accept them as true.
If you are like the women I work with, your limiting beliefs are holding you back from getting the body—and life—that you want.
- Do you believe releasing weight is hard and no fun? Limiting belief.
- Do you believe that you will feel deprived and can’t enjoy the food you love? Limiting belief.
- Do you believe that you hate exercise? Limiting belief.
- Do you believe that your body is somehow faulty? Limiting belief.
- Do you believe you are too old? Limiting belief. (Really! It’s a limiting belief!)
How do you know if it’s a limiting belief?
An easy test is to ask if it’s universally true, meaning it’s true for every person, every time, every place.
And I can tell you from my own experience and from the experience of my clients:
- The journey of releasing weight—and keeping it off—can not only be profound on so many levels, but can be fun—and yes, even easy.
- That the healthiest food is often the most delicious, and that you can create a plan that enables you to eat ALL the food you love.
- That moving your body can be so much fun! Even for you.
- That your body is working so hard on your behalf.
- And I know this is challenging to hear. But most people use getting old as an excuse. When you start paying attention, there are a lot of 100-year-olds out there running marathons. If they can do it, so can you!
Be willing to change your beliefs about limitations, and allow yourself to have a different experience.
You will be amazed at how different you feel—and how easily you can create the body you want.
Together we can do it!