While I’m far from perfect, my self-care is a priority. Most of the time, I eat healthy food, make meditation and moving my body a part of my daily routine, and strive to get adequate sleep.
And I focus on appreciating myself and what I contribute to the world.
But I got a strong message yesterday during a Reiki session that I’m not following the advice I give to my clients. That I’m not being as gentle with myself as I could be, that I’m letting old fear get in the way of showing up as my fullest and brightest self—as Who I really am—and that I’m not fully loving myself.
I’ve come a long way, but clearly I have more work to do!
The good news—and what I tell my clients—is that every layer of fear, resistance, and self-judgment that we let go of makes our lives better and better. And we never finish finding new layers that we have the opportunity to release.
Bottom line: the better life gets, the better it can get.
And honestly, the message I received wasn’t that surprising.
- I’m aware of how self-critical I can be when my eating is less than perfect, which has been more frequent in the past few weeks.
- I’m aware of the judgments that can still come when I look in the mirror.
- I’m aware of holding my loving and exuberant-self back from dancing down the street—and many other things—out of fear of what other people will think.
- I’m aware that how I express myself in my dress and physical appearance is based on old rules and other’s expectations.
- I’m aware of the fear of judgment I have because I’m guiding women to love their way slim—and I am not as slim as I could be. There is definitely a part of me that feels like I need to have 8 percent body fat and be ripped to be a legitimate example. I see the coaches who are that, and I negatively compare myself.
Just imagine all the layers I’m not aware of!
So as I encourage you to do the work to transform your mind to get the body you want, know that I’m doing the same. That I’m focused on peeling those catabolic inner layers because that is Who I want to be and how I want to live my life.
- I want to be gentle and easy with myself.
- I want to feel good about each decision I make.
- I want to look in the mirror and bask in appreciation and love.
- I want to fully be me and express myself.
- I want to be confident in the value that I am providing each of you fabulous readers and to my amazing clients.
No matter what. From exactly where I am.
I’m not perfect, but I am willing to do the work.
How about you?
Together we can do it!