You may be accepting the negative messages offered by your inner critic as true. And you feel bad.
Symptoms of this include:
- Feeling body shame when you look in the mirror
- Being overly critical of specific body parts
- Wanting to hide under the covers when you have sex with your partner
- Feeling impatient when the weight doesn’t drop off instantly
Stop right there!
Chances are those flimsy arguments offered up by your Gremlin are totally bogus. Search your thoughts with the bright light of Truth—those Universal Truths that are true no matter who, no matter what.
Now you probably won’t be able to jump in an instant from feeling body shame to the Truth that your body is beautiful. But a feeling of relief lets you know you are headed in the right direction.
Choose a different—better feeling—thought that creates an entirely new path.
This might look like:
- Recognizing that your body is working hard to help you meet your goals. You didn’t get where you are overnight and it will take a little time to get where you want to go.
- Focusing on a body part you can praise.
- Focusing on the love you are expressing with your body.
- Having faith that your body is responding to your eating healthy and exercising. Changes are coming!
When you catch yourself feeling a negative emotion, use that as a cue to look at your thinking. If you think it’s your Gremlin talking, reason your way through its messages looking for Truth.
What better feeling thought can you choose that moves you towards your goals?
Together we can do it!